User Tag List

Thread: [1/21/2018] Progress Update on Storage, Netcode, and Mapping, and some other things :)

Developer / Server Admin Therenall's Avatar
    Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

[1/21/2018] Progress Update on Storage, Netcode, and Mapping, and some other things :)

This is a post I've been wanting to write up for a while, but every time I sit down I just end up opening Visual Studio.

Netcode

So the netcode has been going along really well, but at this point he's waiting on me with my storage changes in order to finish integrating it into the game. We'll have another post at a later date closer to releasing the netcode about what all is coming in it, but know it will be good

I can say the new launcher is actually a byproduct of the netcode. Some things had to be stripped out of it, because we needed to replace that old one asap - turned out it couldn't wait until netcode, it had too many problems

Storage

The storage has been progressing really well. Currently I'm polishing up a few things with it, and getting it ready for everyone on the team to test internally for a few days before we push it to the live beta server.

Currently the changes will only contain the character stats data (health, skills, subskills, XP, factions, etc), items will come at a later date. I've always intended on splitting this into two phases, mostly because it's two separate systems. I don't want to alter too much in one go, plus it lets the first part get tested while I work on the other. Currently the inventory and storage system for items is fairly convoluted.

Mapping

Mapping has seen a huge boost of progress lately. We got a new team member, Zodiac, who has been helping a lot with our map tooling. From that, Lykos and Atlas have been going full ham with that fixing up map errors in various zones. Some good things should be coming of this It's still a WIP, but, it's not my area to comment on too much.

In general, our current path to retail:

So, the current path to retail looks somewhat like this:

1. Storage changes go to internal, then public testing. This will be the first beta wipe.
    2. Netcode integration (on wizards side.) At this point, with the storage changes public, wizard can begin using them in his netcode integration.
    3. At this point I will be focused on polishing up storage, helping with some of our internal tooling, and finishing a detailed mockup of the new inventory system I've been writing in my spare time.
    4. After some time, no idea how long yet, the netcode will enter internal testing. This will probably be a longer period of internal testing than the storage, as this is such a massive change there will no doubt be things that need to be tweaked/fixed/etc.
    5. After some time, again no idea how long yet, the netcode will go live.
    6. With the netcode live, and hopefully with the help of Wizard if he can spare the time, I will begin re-writing the item storage and possibly the inventory system as a whole. I may start on this before the netcode goes live, depending on how everything comes together. I want to start on it asap, but at the very least I plan on having done significant research into the current system, and have a solid plan and mockup to implement the new system by this point.
    7. Eventually the item storage/inventory system will be finished and enter internal then public testing. I'm not sure if this will entail another wipe or not. It may be necessary to wipe players, but it also might be possible to only wipe items at this point. That's something we'll work the details out closer to that point.
    8. These are the last big things going into the game before retail. Once the storage and netcode are tested and polished reasonably on live, then we will start preparing for retail, and eventually do that wipe.

While this list is big, it shouldn't be taken as an indication of how long this will take. The length of time this takes highly depends on
    • How many bugs we introduce
    • How IRL affects our time.

We are trying to maintain a solid pace, but not burn ourselves out. This list is also not set in stone. This is our general planned path to getting out of beta on the source side of things. It's a solid plan, and should hold, but things happen. I can say that phase 1 of storage should be public within the next few weeks, provided it doesn't fall on it's face in internal testing.

Also, I would encourage you to read our FAQ posted by Atlas, if you haven't done so already: https://forum.neocron.org/threads/877-NCC-FAQ
    Last edited by Atlas; 01-21-2018 at 02:29 PM.
    Therenall
    Developer / Server Administrator
    N E O C R O N . O R G

2. The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to Therenall For This Useful Post:

BadAss (03-06-2018),BlackMaze (01-22-2018),Bonse (01-22-2018),CoreKeeper (05-07-2018),cronbeer (04-18-2018),Deka Dent (04-16-2018),Doc Holliday (01-28-2018),firstnorthstar (01-30-2018),Peter Lustig (01-21-2018),Setlec (01-28-2018),Swayed (01-22-2018),William Antrim (01-23-2018)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    keep up the good work
    can't wait for release

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Peter Lustig For This Useful Post:

Therenall (01-21-2018)

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Peter Lustig View Post
    keep up the good work
    can't wait for release
    Thanks, I know Wizard and I can't wait for this netcode and storage madness to be working and roll it out as well
    Therenall
    N E O C R O N . O R G

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Therenall For This Useful Post:

Peter Lustig (01-21-2018)

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the update. Really looking forward to the end product.
    NC1: The Warbots Testis, Massacre** and Keith Chegwin (Saturn - 101st/Phoenix Mercs)
    NC2: Keith Chegwin, Phil Mitchell, Bonse, The Warbots Testis
    NCC: Bonse, BonsePPU, BonseRES etc etc

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Anything new to report? been a good few months.
    NC1: The Warbots Testis, Massacre** and Keith Chegwin (Saturn - 101st/Phoenix Mercs)
    NC2: Keith Chegwin, Phil Mitchell, Bonse, The Warbots Testis
    NCC: Bonse, BonsePPU, BonseRES etc etc

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bonse View Post
    Anything new to report? been a good few months.
    The content guys have been doing things, but I haven't kept up with that part so I can't speak for what they've been doing.

For the source side, I've been pretty busy with work again, but started to pick things up. I'm working on some changes to the server/client in preparation for a new patching system that wizard is finishing up. This should be released soonish. I'm also working on fixing up storage bugs.
    Therenall
    N E O C R O N . O R G

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Therenall For This Useful Post:

Bonse (04-16-2018)

Lead GM / Community Manager Atlas's Avatar
    Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Between the time this was posted and now we got hold of a team member (Zodiac) that legitimately is parting the fucking seas in regard to tool improvement, he's making such strides that I flat out stopped what I was doing until he is done. Throughout the process his update methods have broken a few of the maps I've made so it is honestly just best to hold off until he says "Atlas, I fixed literally every problem that existed."

so... we chillin' and relaxin' all cool and shootin' some b-ball outside the school.
    Chris "Atlas" Potts
    Lead GM / Community Manager / Content Developer
    N E O C R O N . O R G
    Drop that weapon!

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Atlas For This Useful Post:

Bonse (04-16-2018)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good update. I had missed this thread when it was first posted.

Assuming everything goes to plan, and no major unexpected IRL commitments occur, are you guys targeting a retail release within 2018? If so, do you also expect to have NC1 models completed for release?
    Last edited by cronbeer; 04-18-2018 at 11:55 AM.

Lead GM / Community Manager Atlas's Avatar
    Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cronbeer View Post
    Good update. I had missed this thread when it was first posted.

Assuming everything goes to plan, and no major unexpected IRL commitments occur, are you guys targeting a retail release within 2018? If so, do you also expect to have NC1 models completed for release?
    "5. Okay, that's a doozy, but is there any time frame in mind?

As we approach 2018, the only thing I can say is we would indeed like to have the release done in this coming year. There are many variables that can influence or tank us, one being as I mentioned if we happen to have a C++ capable individual fall into our collective laps. Another being if Wizard wins the lottery and decides to ghost us, who knows? Basically what I'm getting at is, if you keep any level of tabs on the Game Industry you know that making promises you can't keep is one of the most damning things a developer can do. The teams are setup the best they can be at NCC, each individual is dedicated to their task and allots as much time as they reasonably can to what they are doing."

This seems like a "nonanswer" PR talking point, but honestly it is still the best answer. It all depends on how much can get done in our top priority stabilization departments... being netcode and storage. Believe me, the appropriate team members are putting prods to asses where necessary.
    Chris "Atlas" Potts
    Lead GM / Community Manager / Content Developer
    N E O C R O N . O R G
    Drop that weapon!

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Atlas For This Useful Post:

Barely Legal (05-01-2018),CoreKeeper (05-07-2018)