Thread: Q&A v2.0

Lead GM / Community Manager Atlas's Avatar
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Q&A v2.0

Hello Runners!

The NCT would like to take the time to answer questions in order to connect more with the community.

We will reply to your question using the quote reply system, and delete the original post in order to keep the thread as clean as possible with little clutter for easy future access.

Please feel free to post your question as a reply to this thread, but do not go off topic or engage others in conversation here.

For Reza, for Neocron, for the people!
    Chris "Atlas" Potts
    Lead GM / Community Manager / Content Developer
    N E O C R O N . O R G
    Drop that weapon!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Is it true that 101 points in a resistance skill is way better than 100?
    Is it true that dex and int levels, free load in bags and being sit on a chair, improve the cst skill and/or the slots acquired?
    Is it true all the rare parts and mc5 parts have the same droprate?
    Uranus/Terra

Voldemort
    Blue Angel
    Chun Li
    Invisible

Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BlackMaze View Post
    1) You've named this project "Neocron Classic" but are steadily introducing new and improved features and content. Where do you think you should draw the line between changing the game and keeping it original/classic?
    I just reviewed the posts on the first page of the Patch Notes forum and noticed the majority of things that have been pushed out have all been QoL or "should have beens" as I'll call them for the duration of this reply. We have pushed a staggering amount of quality of life updates that are influencing the game from behind the scenes. For instance the Drop All and Loot All buttons, that single improvement has changed so much but only for the better, the crowning example of a QoL and the community agrees! An example of a "should have been" I will give is the trader region system that we are working towards perfecting. Neocron has always approached vendors with a wide brush and that can't work for an open world game... at all in my opinion. What is the purpose for having a rifle vendor out in the wasteland other than trying to create a false sense of fullness to the world by simply having it exist? I myself have ran up to an NPC out in the wild and thought "oh cool, I wonder what this guy sells? ... oh, just the same exact stock as in the city, oh well."

In the planned future of Neocron Classic Community you will be able to run out there as a barter, risk your neck, and purchase a high level weapon from a vendor that normally costs an arm and a leg and of poorer quality while within the safety of the city limits.

One example of a flat out brand new change is something I personally worked on and released recently... the Aggressor Cellar. Looking at the old "cellar" you can see a clear aesthetic borrowing directly from the Main Sewer geometry that runs beneath the rest of Neocron. So, why be specific and name it a "cellar?" We found out through the development process that the old map was actually just a copied asset from the sewer, not just borrowing from it like I originally thought. With that information, and us realizing that the aggressor cellar is an iconic and often visited place for most if not ALL players we found it would be a great change to keep it similar to the old map, but change things around to make it seem much more like an abandoned storage area, that could indeed pass as a cellar. There are also more changes in store for the cellar so stay tuned for that.

The line is indeed drawn where we won't cross, but it is kind of hard to sit down and explain. Basically, we are keeping things as close to the spirit of Neocron as possible. From a technical standpoint we envision the game looking and behaving the same, but putting a whole new "engine" under the hood. In order to ease a worried mind I can also say that you can safely expect NEVER to see something that will make you sit back and think "you know what, that looks really friggin' out of place."

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Shirlias View Post
    2) When Drones will make a comeback?
    When we feel they are balanced in a manner that can't be considered exploiting. We have many avenues to explore before they can be considered a viable weapon class once again.

3) What about T3 drugs like Redflash and Beast?
    Items that are currently not in the game, but were obtainable before Patch #200 will be added once the Vendor Phase is completed. Anything after Patch #200 will either be removed or an alternative designed through input from developers and players when the time of consideration is necessary.

4) How long will last this beta? And, there will be a wipe before the end?
    April 31st, 2017.

Giving a release date for an open ended development cycle is a very bad move. As multiple team members have stated in the past, we are not going to give a release date idea unless we are close and know for a fact it can be met. Go around and ask AAA devs about what happens to their player bases if they constantly miss promised dates! Beta will be finished when we meet the following requirements:

https://forum.neocron.org/threads/61...ity-Work-Order

Also in regard to a wipe prior to the final wipe when Beta draws to a close: we just aren't sure yet. There has been discussion on Discord insinuating that there could be a wipe for sure. When a patch that could change a lot of source data goes live, the architecture will be so different the characters made prior to this update will not be compatible any longer. If this is indeed how things are going to go, we will announce this so that players are prepared for it.

5) Will PEs be able to use Stealth Activator in the Future?
    No. The Stealth Activators were considered a class specific item near the end of Neocron 1's life cycle.

6) If i have an issue in game o i happened to find a bug which shouldn't be posted on forum ( maybe a way to dupe or something ), how do i proceed in order to make a ticket?
    For issues in game follow this thread:

https://forum.neocron.org/threads/66...hings-To-Cover

For bugs, make use of the Bug Report Forum, either find a relevant sticky thread or make a new one. Report exploits directly to a team member, I will touch base on this more after the following link:

https://forum.neocron.org/forums/7-Bug-Reports

I can't find the post regarding this but I remember Lykos mentioned this somewhere in an old sticky, use any method of direct communication with a Dev to accomplish this. I've harked many times that discord is not for official reports, but an exploit is a special case. If someone messages me about an exploit I will reply usually instantly and take steps to rectify it. Reporting a bug and not making use of it is a very nice thing for players to do and we appreciate this help more than anything so we take steps not usually within the SOP to follow through.

7) Will be there any events during the beta? If so, there's a chance they ( or maybe, some of them ) will be announced somewhere days before?
    We don't have the time or capacity to create fully staffed and in-depth events during beta, we have a game to solidify and there will be a wipe anyway so anything achieved through an event will have no meaning for players. Every once in a while when a development team member is online and they have a little free time they will have something on the fly... for instance I met a few Runners at the ByB, Camarogue is a fan of spawning mobs and watching the chaos ensue, and Hyperion tends to enjoy causing disarray in Plaza 1 by starting a street war with the local Authority. If you're online and a GM announces something, that means it is going on right then and there.
    Last edited by Camarogue; 03-12-2017 at 09:13 AM.
    Chris "Atlas" Potts
    N E O C R O N . O R G
    Drop that weapon!

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MayhemMike View Post
    8) Why change little things in Neocron making them different from the way they were in NC1? Example - the HUD Open/Close soundFX. Didn't need to be changed.

Some will welcome these changes with open arms / Others will say.. "This isn't how it was in NC1.. Why did you change it?"
    The RPOS sound changes were a byproduct of something i'm working on. Basically speaking: if we wan't to introduce new content i.e. new mobs or weapons, we have to create new sound assets for them as well.
    Changing something as integral as the HUD soundfx seemed to be the most promising way to figure out how close i could get to the original soundstyle of NC.

BTW: I haven't made those sound files. They are part of free bundle you can find here: http://www.sonniss.com/gameaudiogdc2017/

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Mufoo View Post
    9)Any progress on NC1 character models?
    Yes, but we're not moving the old models in just as they were.

Developer / Server Admin Therenall's Avatar
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    10) ETA on implementing netcode improvements by Wizard?
    The netcode implementation is very complex, and pretty big. We can't really give an ETA, but between finishing what's left and internal testing, it might still be a few months out. Our plan is to test it for a month internally to keep a more controlled eye on it, and fix kinks and bugs that come up. Once we get it to a point for beta, we'll patch it in

11) Will the mathematics behind resists/armour/health relationship be released?
    At some point I believe we do plan on releasing formulas, but for now they are too spread around in the code to just easily/conveniently go aggregate them all and post them :/
    Last edited by Camarogue; 03-12-2017 at 09:37 PM.
    Therenall
    Developer / Server Administrator
    N E O C R O N . O R G

Mentioned
    91 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    12)I take this as an example.
    How do we know if something will be put into the game or not?

For an instance, Melee rare requirements were lower during NCC, but currently are the same as end NCC if i am right.
    I used to play MC PE after and before modifies ( i used to use Blade of Ceres at first, and after the first changes Paw of Tiger. At last Vein ripper with de HC/MC PE destruction ).

I also used to play with SA all along with spies during NCC ( when for an instance, Executioner and slasher were around 103 dex if i am correct ).

It is not meant to be a complain.
    What i am asking is "is there a specify Patch# as a limit are you working with?"
    We are working with Patch Level 200 NC1. We will be working around that and then expanding from that. That is our base.

Quote Originally Posted by Disturbed View Post
    13) Is there anything else runners should be testing specifically atm?
    Right now there isn't really much to be testing other than playing the game and reporting bugs. We are in a slow season right this moment with the two main source devs working on big projects at the same time, and the rest of us kind of on hold. Personally, I think it was a bit of a mistake to take on two big projects like netcode and what Therenall is working on at the same time (At the time it looked great), since it ground us to a halt with other portions of the project.. But we should be gaining momentum again soon.

We do need about one or two DEDICATED and AVAILABLE C# Tool makers. It seems everybody who comes on ends up trailing off after about a week or two, and we never hear from them again.

Quote Originally Posted by Stevil View Post
    14) After the database implementation, do the team plan to allow access to apartments and apartment assets (like cabinets) for other runners.

The scenario I'm thinking of is the likes of clan members off doing epics in other factions. They can't get in or access the cabs whilst they aren't in the same faction. I'd really like this to be implemented. Maybe even an ability to flag clan members as "Away on a Mission" so they can change factions to do their epics without revoking their clan status.

I'd also like to give my missus access to my personal apartment and the cabinets there too.
    You're trusting the missus with access to your precious rares? :P Just giving you crap. We do have plans for granting access to apartments etc. but we need to work up the finer details of it. If we allow that, and somebody scams you out of everything, we need guidelines in place to basically say "You're screwed".
    Last edited by Camarogue; 03-12-2017 at 09:38 PM.
    Noah "Lykos" Wingate-Dolph
    Server Administrator / Developer
    N E O C R O N . O R G
    Community Developed, Runner Approved!

Mentioned
    91 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Roger Ramjet View Post
    15) Will the weapon models receive an update whilst keeping their original NC1 looks?
    Yes. That is planned.
    Last edited by Camarogue; 03-12-2017 at 11:14 PM.
    N E O C R O N . O R G

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Lykos For This Useful Post:

Roger Ramjet (03-13-2017)

Mentioned
    91 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Stevil View Post
    I love vehicles in game. But the one thing that annoys me more than anything is having to do all the clicking to get in and out if you're a passenger or gunner. It's a bit of a time sync.

Is there a way we can get it so that if you're teamed you can enter your team-mate's vehicle? Also so that you click the seat of the car you want to enter. Clicking the passeneger seat allows you to get in there and clicking the gunners seat allows you to get in there?
    Hrm, this may be possible, but will take some work. Clicking the seat you want however might not be possible. I'll do some poking around though. We do want to make some vehicle improvements though
    N E O C R O N . O R G

Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kane View Post
    Is it planned to fix the faction manager supply?
    No. In fact they have been gone ever since beta was launched. I don't know when you started playing but that is one of the primary features of Neocron 2. As mentioned previously we are going a separate direction and driving that force is going back to the days of classic Neocron prior to the addition of the 2 to the name. Objects sold from Faction Supply managers that were swapped around when the change was made will be returned to public locations. If you see a Faction Supply Manager their inventory is wiped and are simply a legacy title until they are completely replaced within the files.

Quote Originally Posted by KANE View Post
    I cant find any STR Belts or DEX Armor, are they not ingame?
    Everything will be returned once the trader pass is complete.

Quote Originally Posted by KANE View Post
    Do you plan to fix Belt dropping in outpost sectors?
    If you feel something needs to be changed make a Brainport thread and ask for public opinion.
    Chris "Atlas" Potts
    N E O C R O N . O R G
    Drop that weapon!

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Pretty sure the only Str belts were the Energyfield belts and there are no Dex belts in NC1.
    [Grumpy Old Dawn]